Key Focus Areas Education Finance
Every child deserves a quality education. Yet access to schools—good schools in particular—is all too scarce for children in developing regions. In fact, more than 2 million children and adolescents around the world, half of whom live in sub-Saharan Africa, have never started school or have already dropped out.
- In countries crippled by poverty, public schools do not receive adequate funding to build good classrooms, hire new teachers or offer transportation for rural students, many of whom must walk miles each day to attend school.
- Parents living on less than $2 a day are unable to afford required educational costs such as uniforms, fees and lunches for their children.
Because education is the single greatest determinant of future economic status and self-reliance, Opportunity International is committed to putting and keeping more children in schools around the world.
Opportunity works from the inside-out. We invest in parents and educators who are committed to making sure the children in their underserved communities have a chance to escape poverty by getting an education. We empower them with the financial tools and training they need to make sure that children can not only go to school, but also receive a quality education essential for their future success.
We start with financing, a critical first step in sending and keeping kids in school.
- With a School Improvement loan, a school proprietor can build another classroom to serve more students, or install running water and bathrooms, which helps girls stay in school
- With a School Fee loan, a mother can send her daughter to a nearby school that has bus for transportation, small class sizes, as well as books and computers
- With EduSave Insurance, children’s school fees are covered in the event of a death or illness of a guardian so they can stay in school
Alongside financing, we support educators in improving the quality of education children receive.
- Opportunity runs education clusters, made up of leaders from up to a dozen schools, to facilitate collaboration, group problem-solving and best practice sharing
- School assessments help proprietors understand their strengths and weaknesses, as well as a clearly defined roadmap for improvements
- OPENeducator, Opportunity’s web-based resource center, offers educators around the world with training tools and global community of support
- By 2017, we served more than 263 million children around the world who are now writing a new story for their lives
- 173,194 loans valuing nearly $94 million to improve schools and get kids into the classroom.
- 500,675 children served via School Fee loans
What You Can Do
Invest in education today to change a child's life forever.
Writing a New Story for Children's Education
By 2017, we served nearly 2 million children around the world.